Friday, July 31, 2009

Behind the Scenes: Woodstock Memories - Lens Blog - NYTimes.com

I was in Woodstock, NY the summer before, 1968 a young dishwasher in Timber Lake Camp near Phoenicia, NY time off a destination for a film or a dinner, so I was surprised that the promoters (NY Times ad: “Three Men With Unlimited Capital…” also title of their book) had chosen it as a name, and fortunate it had not taken place as planned in Walkill, NY that due to an argument over port-a-potties. Standing by the chain-link as it came down, with a ticket, I realized like the later line from “Jaws” they were going to need a bigger everything, i.e., the stage Boston’s “Quarry” played on, the Hogfarm commune were parked at (weren’t they in “Easy Rider” and later smallpox eradication in India?) and where Wavy Gravy camped at and Joan Baez came down to sing was way too small! Though at the time, I thought a good place for me to be. I hope the museum about to open does well, and I’ve heard from recent concert goers it’s a real treat now to go there and hear some of the best in the business in a nice outdoor setting and a great place to bring the kids. I don’t think they’ll have to worry that the tickets sales were kinda’ low and then have people pouring in from all over the proverbial place!
Behind the Scenes: Woodstock Memories - Lens Blog - NYTimes.com
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments:

Post a Comment