Thursday, June 03, 2010

The Globe And Mail: The 'Graveyard of the Atlantic’ – reborn

image
“A fog-shrouded place of dunes, shipwrecks and wild horses, Sable Island is on track to becoming Canada’s newest national park”  Note: see ponies?
6/3/2010 9:52:22 PM
My grandfather, from Grand Manan Island, NB, encouraged us to visit with him from NYC in the US to Canada. Last time to Seal Cove, I recall, Guelph U. was doing a DNA and behavior study of the "right whales" our countries share, which, from on-line sources has been quite successful so far, i.e., Cape Cod warning system, etc. On an earlier visit to Grand Manan, I was thrilled to read about a US National Geographic trip to Sable Island, and I am still mesmerized by shifting sands and ships that appear and disappear in that once very dangerous part of the sea. More recently I was alarmed to see a plan, in a full page advertisement in the New York Times, for a gas/oil platform, nearby Sable Island, in what's been reported the roughest water, the North Atlantic, and a plan for it, a natural gas pipeline to Quebec. More recently I was also surprised to read that perhaps the largest gas reserves ever found, are in the much safer underground of New Brunswick. I will probably never step foot on Sable (French: "sand") Island, but inspiration for me to think of other islands, particularly Long Island, NY (actually many islands) growing up. I hope it is preserved and enjoyed in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment