Sunday, September 25, 2005

IMDb :: The Shipping News

No, I miss some people there, spreading dulse on Indian Beach, living in a 12 room house in Seal Cove, Grand Manan, built on too weak a foundation, it twisted too much in the wind on the concrete, which cracked I think, from putting "sea cobbles" in the mix, they exude salt I think, one became the weakest link in the "chain" of concrete. I didn't own it strictly speaking, my family had it for awhile, it was on a community spring, summer I was there, dry, we all hauled water up from the small artesian well (1/4" copper tubing stuck in the sand) next to the herring smoke houses. Off the Seal Cove breakwater is Wood Island, once about 20 families there abandoned, Outer Wood Island belongs to a Dr. Spacek I think. Kent Island further out is where Bowdoin College of Maine does bird migration studies, part of an Arctic flyway, puffins there too. I think we should have more films from Newfoundland because: "Sir Humphrey Gilbert: English navigator who in 1583 established in Newfoundland the first English colony in North America (1539-1583)" WordWeb 3.03 They say Seal Cove was orginally settled by an American, Dr. Faxon, who built the first sailing ship on Grand Manan Island. He moved away, though over the War of 1812. They say you can still hear the "Downeast" accent there of Maine in the cove.

No comments:

Post a Comment