Thursday, March 09, 2006

Keep Arctic Refuge drilling out of our budget bill

It is with profound disbelief and regret that I write to you yet again about legislation that threatens America's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska. I am troubled by the actions of the Budget Committee, which once again has crafted legislation that would use the budget process to open the Arctic Refuge to oil and gas drilling. Looking toward clean energy solutions for the future, I have worked in the clearance archaeology for the Millennium Pipeline in NY State, which will use Canadian gas, yet the project has yet to be completed. I hope my NY Senators are looking at a pipeline that uses 99% of pre-existing right-of-ways from Canada to Cleveland to Mount Vernon, NY, perhaps held-up by "higher-ups". I'm still waiting for the Millennium. We need more cooperation with Canadian resource management, though less and less has become a rule of sorts. I have loved working a number of times on New York's northern borders in archaeology compliance (the St. Lawrence Seaway, at Fort Drum, in Ogdensberg and Massena, NY). As a NPS worker in Skagway, Alaska for historic preservation, it an "entrepot" of sorts for Arctic arts, also the location of the Arctic Brotherhood lodge, I urge you to oppose any legislation, including the budget bill, that puts the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge at risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment