Friday, September 14, 2012

Onion bottle seals...

The only one I recall, and out of context, I found in a garden behind (north side) of the William Floyd Manor house, in Old Mastic, NY. It was stamped "William Lloyd". William Floyd was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and an American General in Upstate New York where he is also interred. William Lloyd was a north shore Tory involved in some hostage negotiation and Stony Brook University has done some excavation there as I recall. The bottle seal was found and turned in by myself to Dana Linck, then of the Denver Service Center, US National Parks Service, now of "The Great Chain". They were conducting the clearance excavations on the property prior to its opening to the public, mostly for safety concerns, recently then acquired or donated by his heirs I believe, whom I once met before, when the Suffolk County Archaeology Association asked me to construct some wooden screen grids to map the basement floor.

Prior to its becoming a part of the now Fire Island National Seashore a federal wilderness designation the first and only as of this date, in New York State, the county archaeologists were interested as the hearings progressed at the high school named after William Floyd nearby. An American Revolution story reports that the British Army cut all his trees down and boarded horses in his house. I am not sure if the "William Lloyd" seal in error or perhaps from them or him brought to the site. A wonderful surface find for me, a conundrum of problems for historians. I was fortunate to have worked there and at other Denver Service Center jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment