Sitka NP to sponsor Conference
Until the U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia in 1867, the Russian empire owned this part of North America. For nearly 100 years, the Russians called Sitka their Alaskan capital. Celebrating this aspect of Sitka's past, on August 18-22, 2010, Sitka NHP and the International Association of Specialists on the Study of Russian America will co-sponsor the 4th International Conference on Russian America, at Sitka. The conference follows those held in Sitka in 1979 and 1987 and in Irkutsk, Russia in 2007. A formal call for papers will be issued soon.
Links to more information may be found at: www.nps.go
- December 2009 NPS Archeology E-Gram
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost