Thursday, March 29, 2007

histarch: dismiss folklore as fantasy

I was myself very skeptical of the "Wanderer" story, I thought maybe folklore, a large yacht built in Setauket, NY outfitted with water tanks for a trans-Atlantic voyage in the adjacent harbor, Port Jefferson, NY and said to have left in 1858 and landed on Jekyll Island, Georgia in 1858, (Wikipedia) discharging hundreds of Africans into slavery. I thought it was folklore myself, perhaps. Then I found, an ascendant was arguing with the wording on the bronze plaque back in the early 1960s with the National Parks Service (a large iron cauldron is there where they were first fed, in the 1930s cited as a "playground of the rich") and a university in Georgia who had its built origin in Port Jefferson, which he successfully had changed, a William Minuse. More recently I read on City Island, Bronx, NY in their nautically oriented public library, that the British Navy as part of a slavery blockade, actually boarded it and found a wonderful luxury yacht that couldn't possibly be used to that end. Well apparently it was, left the blockade and was very fast. I think I read somewhere that maple syrup was mixed with the water to "feed" the human cargo on these infamous boats or ships that a database has in known use until 1863. "Wanderer" was used as a letter packet, very fast judging from the one painting of "her" in possession of the Port Jeff Yacht Club (if it still exists very small almost like "everyman's yacht club") and sunk in the "fruit trade" off of Christopher Columbus' named point "Cape Maysi" just north of Guantanamo, Cuba. I'd like to thank those that have done the research that help keep the story true and "blue" and helped me tell it. What was that Louisiana cotton merchant thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment