Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Plundering grave sites!

Underwater Archaeology forum: I have worked in Ralph Solecki, Ph.D.'s lab, the archaeologist who discovered the Neandthal burials in Shanidar Cave in Iraq, to whom a tribute was made in the introduction of the novel "Clan of the Cave Bear". However, I was working on the bottles and other debris left behind at a small dam site for a chair factory in Bergenfield, NJ, Coopers Dam, still repairing chairs I might add, I had one rocking chair seat "rewickered" there while working for Joan Geismar, Ph.D., who was examining the buried remains that were in the ground as the small earthen dam was replaced. Whew! I still remember the Tiffany glass Ralph Solecki had in his lab from bushel baskets of it dumped on one of the sites he was looking at in Queens I think. My point is that often the jobs I have had to examine or work on in regards to human burials have been in the redesign of progress, not as an actual research aim, the "potters field" or earlier the "almshouse cemetery" or more recently the "work farm" and other burial grounds that have had to have had someone document their extent and sometimes the damage to them as research reveals sometimes corruption and other vagaries of government recording (or lack thereof) of the burials. One person was even asked to excavate perhaps a saint, before being placed below the altar in the vault of St. Patricks Cathedral in New York City! So, it seems that archaeologists are being used in a more "applied" setting and assisting forensics and government often rather than settling academic "rows" one I've been to and out of over mortuary practices, gustatory cannibalism, and the man-eating myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment