Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Supreme Court Sides With Military Recruiters On Access To College Campuses...

Does this mean the Supreme Court will not bring up the JROTC system? Back in 1969-1970, my high school, Newfield, on Marshall Drive in Selden, NY (town named after a judge who testified on behalf of Susan B. Anthony posing as a man to vote, a judicial taboo) became the first Marine Corps JROTC in the country, the Army in Connecticut (Beatle Paul's manager's town) and the Air Force and Navy on the West Coast, I found in my research, then draftable. Somewhat more recently, the "Defense Monitor" show on PBS asked "Are they worth it?" and said the JROTC program, in 20,000 mostly poor schools, cost about $1 billion a year, back in the early 1990's I think. To me the single service orientation, and perhaps the exclusion of women, at least way back then, seem to be one of the reasons the government has fought so hard on this issue to recruit in "law schools". "Methinks I see in my mind a noble and puissant nation rousing herself like a strong man after sleep, and shaking her invincible locks. Methinks I see her as an eagle mewing her mighty youth, and kindling her undazzled eyes at the full midday beam; purging and unscaling her long-abused sight at the fountain itself of heavenly radiance; while the whole noise of timorous and flocking birds, with those also that love the twilight, flutter about, amazed at what she means..." On a old poster "Our Rights and Our Liberties" banner in an eagle's mouth. Quotation: John Milton 1644

No comments:

Post a Comment