Friday, October 07, 2005

Sailcat's (Muscle Shoals) "We'll See the World from my Harley"

Campus Motors in Centereach, NY once upon a time was a small Kawasaki dealer. A friends uncle had a 1968 W1 650 (though the pipes looked like a W2) and with more than a few kids and a small accident on the LIE (Long Island Expressway 495, "world's longest parking lot") his wife said it was it or her. I bought it from him as most of my friends were bike nuts with Bridgestone 350cc (2 strokes) or a Kawasaki 175cc (2 stroke dirt bike) or a Velocette (from the other bike shop down the road, guy had the Kawasaki 500 three cylinder stroke 2) I thought to buy Kawasaki (Kawasaki Heavy Industries it became built many of New York City's more recent subway cars, also Bombardier, and now someone in Sao Paolo, Brazil where I'd probably have a "Turuna" (Honda? I have a guitar from there w/ same name). Anyway I bought it drove it to Cleveland, picked up Deedee, then to Buffalo, NY (they wouldn't let me on the super-highway w/o a 4" tire) back to Cleveland and back out on Long Island in six days in October, nearly froze, the speed limits back in 1970 were 75 mph on Route 80 in Pennsylvania. I sold the red motorcycle eventually, after fighting an 80 in a 30 mph ticket, though I got arrested for it over a snafu, found an abandoned 650cc 1956 Ariel in Ithaca, NY tried to take it and a passenger to Canada after restoring it sort of, lost 4th gear and with my friend in a machine shop to cut the shaft grafted a Norton Atlas transmission into the Ariel, took it to Buffalo, NY where I then went to school, and it disappeared in a snowstorm, probably plowed into a drift somewhere. When I went back to school for my degree in Anthropology at Stony Brook on Long Island I found a 6" extension 1968 TT chopper with a twisted chrome trident sissy bar and short handlebars, a small light, which I attached a Hurst shifter arm to it as a kickstand as when I bought it a milk crate was holding it up by the high pipes, and it would have been hard carrying the milk crate around to hold the bike up, once they extended the fork, I guess the center stand became useless. I worked a Gym Security as work-study and used to park it up at the gym on the epoxy nut and bolt Hurst shifter. It had a peanut tank, a barely a light, one of those fog-lamp sized bits of lamp for daylight running. I eventually sold it too, I still have the primary chain I broke on Labor Day. Anyway, just as I was looking at a wonderful restoration on eBay, which was way away in Maine (I'm in the Bronx, NY) out came the Retro Kawasaki 650cc. I had to laugh it was such an "out of the blue" thing for them to do. I wish I had the time and money I would have bought one maybe. I had driven it and a girlfriend to the May Day Demonstration against the Vietnam War in Washington, DC too. I am walking the bike around, and the guy Steve, with the 500 and the Velocette walks up to me out of the large crowd, asks if he could borrow the bike for a minute. I say yes, he goes tear-assing all over by the pools and the monuments comes back and hands me back my 1968 650cc W1 Kawasaki motorcycle! Steve Bogert, if your reading this, that's OK, we were young, and slept behind a tree that night. That's this Chautauqua anyway. ("Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance")

No comments:

Post a Comment