Thursday, September 15, 2005

IMDb :: Boards :: Post Reply

Re: A Newfoundlander's opinion by - you Just adrift a little, no edits on the recalling of the film, sorry. I can't imagine people having to burn their boats. I studied archaeology with R.M. Gramly, PhD Harvard U., who lost a woman volunteer in Labrador, they think, she fell into the sea or the polar bear seen shortly after her demise, working for the US Smithsonian. It took 24 hours to get a helicopter there. I have kin on Grand Manan Island, where one of my grand-dads, Lawrence Urquhart came from. I studied the last possessions of France in the Western Hemisphere, they are on the south side of Newfoundland, started centuries ago harvesting cod, dried on cobblestone there. I thought the film, filmic, that is dreamlike, not necessarily a reality, more from a over-arching power of subconscious fantasy, creating the "denouments" as the French title suggests, and because of it, thought it, the metaphors which created, regurgitated memory associated with "Newfoundland" in my reality, my subconscious, (comnnected with the arctic fox, perhaps if I was a member of "First Nation"). Though I am here in the Bronx, it still has a way of reminding me of the present. Or an attempt at "what it meant to me" Myers, having tried to film in the 28' tide the comings and goings in a small marble tidal pool. We need more oceanography there and in the North Atlantic, as spawning grounds stretch over international boundaries, and we can't afford to fight for what is left without agreements. Recently a small "lobster" incident happened in international waters over the changing regulations of one country to go to a shared resource at a different time, for longer for example, leaving the other nation's season, perhaps jeopardized by overfishing. The American Coast Guard, also lately under "Homeland Security" will not even voluntarily suggest to ships that they slow to 12 knots in areas of right whales who have a nursery near Grand Manan Island, NB, only 300 left of thousands today, once the "right whale" to harvest because, dead, they float. Guelph University, in a "landmark" study using bolts from a crossbow, tied to a boat, did DNA analysis of their relations wondering if in small number they would die from inbreeding, years ago near Grand Manan. As you know DNA in legal matters has become very important and the association in my mind I have to make, seeing the whales of July at the now automated light my Canadian cousin once manned with family, across the Grand Manan Channel (on the wall in most "Red Lobster" bathrooms) from Campobello Island, FDR's place, there and meeting them the last time I was there over twenty years ago. I also studied film with this guy: S:TREAM:S:S:ECTION:S:ECTION:S:S:ECTIONED

No comments:

Post a Comment