Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mayor Bloomberg Caves, Releases List Of Fire Houses To Be Closed « CBS New York

I used to visit the Motthaven E 143rd from the Patterson House projects before my family moved to Centereach in Brookhaven, NY. Back then prior to 1960 it was important station, and appears to have been as old as 1906. Apparently right across the street, according to the Bronx historians research was the Janes and Kirtland Foundry which built and assembled the current US Capitol Dome finished for President Lincoln for just over $1 million. As an 7 or 8 year old I ‘m not sure if I thanked the firemen for getting my friend and I out of a stuck elevator in that project at 143rd and Third Ave., so thanks for the service. Maybe it should be on the National Register of Historic Places and might have developed out of a need by the historic foundry, evidence today gone beneath the sidewalks of New York.  May 19, 2011 at 2:28 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment