Monday, November 10, 2008

Retromodo: Happy Birthday Saturn V, Still The Biggest Rocket of All

Visiting the Cape in spring of 1971, I recall getting up next to and looking inside the what I thought was called the "Vehicle Assembly Building" which could hold in volume I think 3 1/2 Empire State Buildings. I just saw the one in India that launched the current research satellite in successful orbit around the Moon, partly for NASA. I've also seen the HDTV of the Earth "rising" over the lunar horizon, recorded by the Japanese research satellite, and the Chinese spacewalk in Earth orbit. I think Saturn V certainly inspired, hopefully it will also bring more international cooperation and not a new Babel 17. Retromodo: Happy Birthday Saturn V, Still The Biggest Rocket of All

The Eagle has also crashed as far as I know, where? Nobody knows. The other Grumman Lunar Excursion Modules were crashed for seismic recordings of the geology of the Moon which has gravitational anomalies. I was reading in retrospect the Eagle was also landed off its mark due to the boulder fields and it was quite a feat, in the days before serious hand calculators to rendezvous back with the orbiting Apollo capsule. Maybe someday humankind will recover the "Eagle".

They also left a small wooden piece from the Wright Brothers plane that first flew at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina according to a small exhibit I saw at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio, once there in an archaeological clearance of Shaker burials in their Watervliet, Ohio community turned into a research park.

No comments:

Post a Comment